Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fruitful Vine



    This is a story of growing good grapes in a vineyard and producing good wine. Sun light is the most important catalyst for fruit bearing vines and vineyards become a fruitful one. Very often shades limit the ability of vine to bud and it is possible for flowering buds to fall on the ground. This is a huge concern for the vineyard keeper or the owner in general so the choice of location where there is plenty of sunlight is very important for the vines to bear fruit. Location has an important influence for the success of wine grape growing.

    If we have huge trees with wide spread roots these can bring in a host of problems like shade and can invite birds, raccoons, rabbits, rodents, deer and mice around them and trees could rob the moisture form the soil. The vineyard has to be fertile and the soil that drains thoroughly helps in producing fine grapes.  Degree of sunlight, surrounding flora and fauna, the types of soil, choosing the right variety of grapes and the varying climate play a huge role in growing vine grapes. In general we can say that technology does not necessarily produce good grapes and wines, but the vineyard and how it is tended! Now we can understand why Jesus brought the relationship between growing grapes and spiritual fruit.
     1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
     What is pruning?
    The Greek word translated 'bear' in 'bears no fruit' is the word phero, and the Greek word translated 'fruit' is karpos. Both are used in the Parable of the Sower. 'It came up, grew and produced a crop [karpos: fruit, crop, harvest] multiplying [phero: bearing] thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times.' (Mar 4:8).1

    [Pruning is performed in the early spring while the vine is still dormant. This is done in February, March, or early April depending upon when the grapevines generally come out of dormancy and bud out. Pruning the grapevine and training the vine go hand-in-hand. You must decide the way you want to train the vine in order to prune it correctly. Vines that "droop" should be trained to a top wire of about 6 feet. Canes are then pruned and trained outward from the middle on each side of the trunk. As the new shoots grow, they droop on each side of this high pruned wire, naturally, taking in account of their habit of growth. Concord, and other Native American varieties are typical of those varieties that droop downward naturally.]2

      Sin in its entire format has its origin in the heart of man. As I have explained in my previous article on ‘Heart and mind connection’ what we sow in our minds can descend into our hearts and the heart begins to yield its crop bountifully.  20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: 23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man. Mk: 7:20-23. When we sing and cry out to God “purify my heart” that means a lot to a believer. Because God the Father starts to work in the heart of an individual by pruning and cleansing.
     As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. 12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. 13 Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. 16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. 17 These things I command you, that ye love one another; Jn: 15:1-17.
     Are we chosen to bear fruit? Has God given us His Spirit so that one day we may have eternal life? 16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you; Jn:15:16. The Greek word translated appoints means to place some one in that position and here the position is as a believer in Christ. That position was given to us so that we bear fruit to God the Father. 
    What is a true vine? I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman; Jn 15:1. The Greek translation for true means real, genuine and not a counterfeit. When we look around we find there are many counterfeit teachings and many follow those teachers who give counterfeit teachings. They seem to be very attractive and many follow that broad path. When we read this passage we understand Jesus is genuine truth and He is the true vine and the Father is the gardener. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me; Jn: 14:6.

    What happens to fruitless branches? Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit; Jn: 15:2. Cut off means to take away or remove. From the above verse it is very obvious that God the Father will remove or take away from the person any branch that does not yield its fruit in the season. When we say abide in Christ means ‘born again believers;’ 1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit; Rom: 8:1. 17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new; 2 Cori: 5:17. The following verse confirms many believers who were in Christ and who bear fruit for God the Father; Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellow-prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me; Rom: 16:7.

    How do we remain in Jesus? Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing; Jn 15:4-5. These verses definitely imply that if we do not abide or remain in Jesus he will not abide in us ad we will not bear fruit. Remain means to abide or dwell; But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you; Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his; Rom: 8:9. The consequences of not abiding in Jesus are huge; and that is we can not bear fruit; and we can never glorify the Father if we do not abide in Jesus.
    What will happen to the vine branches which do not abide in Jesus? If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples; Jn: 15:6-8. This is serious and Jesus is comparing us to the vine branches because He wants us to bear fruit to God the Father and also Jesus knows we can never bear fruit on our own.
    Jerusalem, a Useless Vine 1The word of the LORD came to me:  2"Son of man, how is the wood of a vine better than that of a branch on any of the trees in the forest?  3Is wood ever taken from it to make anything useful? Do they make pegs from it to hang things on?  4And after it is thrown on the fire as fuel and the fire burns both ends and chars the middle, is it then useful for anything?  5If it was not useful for anything when it was whole, how much less can it be made into something useful when the fire has burned it and it is charred? 6 "Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: As I have given the wood of the vine among the trees of the forest as fuel for the fire, so will I treat the people living in Jerusalem; Ez:15:1-6.
    In general a barren tree is a waste of space and it is better it is cut down and another tree with a possibility of bearing fruit is worth planting. He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down; Lk:13:6-9. It is important that we bear fruit by not only hearing God’s word but practicing it daily in our lives.
    How do we remain in His love and glorify God?As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full; Jn 15:9-11. If we remain in the unconditional love of Christ we will allow Him to cleanse us and refine us, and if our hearts does not condemn us we have the confidence before God in our prayer life. Obedience to God and His commandments adds more power in our prayer life. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples; Jn 15:9-8. In other words glorifying the Father means to reveal some one as being great, important, magnificent, awesome and excellent in our lives.

    What is a true fruit? In general when we talk about fruit people tend to believe the number of people they bring to Christ and His love. When we read Galatians chapter 5, we get a different view of the fruit we are talking about. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; Gal 5:19-23. When one try to be in God, and God dwells in that person, then the fruit what the Galatians is talking about becomes very evident in their lives. The spiritual fruit is produced in our lives by the indwelling Spirit of Christ working in and through the person transforming that person in the image and likeness of Christ.

    What is real Christian maturity? The Greek word translates maturity as bringing to perfection or ripeness. Perfection does not mean how many people one brings to Christ, or how many people one preaches the Gospel. It definitely has to do with the quality of fruit we bear for God the Father and the image we bear as believers. The quality of fruit we produce is directly proportional to how much of us we yield to God. Are we allowing God to transform us into His image? Such fruit takes time to grow and to ripen in our lives. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; Gal: 5:22-23. This is the fruit that will last and remain as we continue to abide in Christ and His love because they were produced by God. That means we are allowing Jesus to live in us, and being part of us in our decision making process in our lives and we are glorifying the Father in heaven and showing the world that we are the true disciples of Jesus Christ.

      Please visit the following website to understand the effort it takes to bring forth fruit in a vineyard. It has different seasons like bud break, flowering, fruit set, veraison and what the farmer does after harvest. This is very much related to our spiritual lives what the Lord calls us to abide in Him to bear much fruit. This is a process, and also our spiritual lives have different seasons and the garden has to be watered, tilled, weeded, and must be taken care off.  

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_growth_cycle_of_grapevines
The vines begins to divert some of its energy production into its reserves in preparation for its next growth cycle. After harvest . See also: Harvest (wine)

End notes:
The vine and the branches 'I am the true vine, ... while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful
2
Prune Your Grapes - Pruning the Backyard Grapevine
http://www.whatprice.co.uk

Website and References:

        1. List of Greek words with English derivatives - Wikipedia ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_words_with_English_derivatives
This is an incomplete list of Greek words with derivatives in English. There are many English words of Greek origin, with a variety of histories: vernacular borrowing ...

      2. Images of vineyard and grape clusters

bing.com/images

        3. How To Grow A Vineyard - YouTube

Learn tips from a Napa Valley grape grower on how to set up a vineyard. From the Southwest Yard &   Garden series.

       4.Starting a grape vineyard?, about grape vines and ...

winerackshop.com/vineyard.htm
Sign up to receive deals, discounts, and ... Starting A Grape Vineyard ... Grape vines will certainly grow in shaded areas but sunlight is the catalyst for fruit ... 

For further reading:

1. Millard J. Erickson. Christian Theology. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House: 1983-85. 
2. R.T. Kendall. Understanding Theology, Developing a Healthy Church in the 21st Century. 1996.
3. Jay E. Adams. A Theology of Christian Counseling, More than Redemption. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1979.
4. Louis Berkhof. Systematic Theology. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1996.
5.  Robert P Lightner. Handbook of Evangelical Theology, Historical, Biblical, and Contemporary Survey and Review. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1986.
6. Charles Ryrie. Basic Theology. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986, 1999.
7.  A. H. Strong. Systematic Theology. New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Co, 1907.
8.  Wayne Grudem. Systematic Theology, An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994.
9. Steven W. Waterhouse. Not By Bread Alone, An Outlined Guide To Bible Doctrine. Amarillo: Westcliffe Press, 2007
10. John Theodore Muller, Th.D. Christian Dogmatics, A handbook of Doctrinal Theology for Pastors, Teachers, and Laymen.  St. Louis, Mo: Concordia Publishing House, 1934.  
11. Prayers To Move Your Mountains. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2000.
12. John White. Parables, the Greatest Stories ever Told. Illinois: Inter varsity Press, 1988, 1999.
13. ESV Study Bible. English Standard Version. Crossway Bibles, Wheaton, Illinois: Publishing ministry of Good News publishers, 2008.
14. The Matthew Henry Study Bible. King James Version. Iowa falls: World Bible Publishers, Inc. 1990.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment