Sunday, November 13, 2016

Who can fathom fully?


When I walked the steps of Jesus recently in Jerusalem and Galilee and Bethlehem, and especially when I walked the path of Jesus during his passion week my mind constantly thought about the trials and persecutions of Jesus. When I walked through the different stations of the Cross via Dolorosa Jerusalem I thought about the three Falls of Jesus: at station three, station seven and station nine. The Fall was beyond what Jesus could carry at that time and his body was weak, and He was mentally and physically exhausted and He needed help. The greatest mental agony of Jesus could be the initial separation from His Father, carrying the whole burden of the sins of world, and being persecuted, beaten, heavily interrogated by the leaders both in the religious and secular circles for trying to fulfill what His Father in Heaven had for Him. I could sit on this topic for days, because this whole scene is beyond me to comprehend and I cannot fathom why Jesus had to do this for me and for the whole humanity! Isn’t there any other way of redeeming the humanity? I can try to understand the immense love of God the Father for humanity, and still this love of God is beyond me and unexplainable. Yes, the Word of God says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life”; Jn 3:16. Yes, God’s Word is the ultimate truth, but my comprehension of trying to fathom God’s love in giving His Only Son Jesus Christ seem to be partial and a mystery. In my comprehension, this seem to be an ‘unscalable mystery’.
Here I am trying to understand God and His natural attributes. God is not a fearful celestial policeman nor a sentimental grandfather in the sky, nor He is a ball of consuming fire. The natural attributes of God revealed by His self-disclosure of Scripture says, God is all powerful, transcendent who excels above all and He is exalted and eternal and the world’s Creator, who is Sovereign and the Perfect Judge. God is immanent and near as well as transcendent and He is Omnipotent, who is all powerful, Omnipresent who is in all places at all time, and Omniscient who knows all things. God never had a beginning and has no end, and He is God Eternal, timeless. God is infinite and unlimited and he is unchangeable against injustice, cruelty or deceit and yet He is love. I cannot even fully wrap my mind adequately to conceive of the infinite quantity of space, creation, the vastness of the Universe, the billions of stars in the galaxies, and the times and the change of seasons. Time and again, I come to the humble adoration of God and His characteristic attributes and acknowledge that God’s power, Omni potency is at work and in control of everything, anywhere at work. His Holiness has no limitations and no defects and yet He is a very personal God and created me in His own image after His own likeness;  “ And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth”; Gen: 1:26. This is an awesome ‘unscalable mystery’ to me.
Time and again when I faced the ‘unscalables’ in my life, the only ‘Fount of Love’ who understands me completely was God, through His Son and His Spirit because He suffered the most, the mental, emotional and physical agony while he was on this earth so He can empathize and sympathize with my whole situation. There are no impossibilities for our Triune God, who is Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent. I acknowledge that God can take me ‘my unscalables’ to the end of the tunnel because His Word says, “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not”; Jer:33:3. I can also say that God can take anyone by giving His answers to prayer which is beyond the realm of reason, Science, and knowledge. No one can fully fathom the depth, the beauty and dimension of the answer from God because it is so special for that person who calls upon Him. Indeed, God is near to the broken hearted when one faces the ‘unscalable’ and there is absolutely nothing which is ‘unscalable’ to Him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment